APRIL 3 – APRIL 5, 2020
This premier festival weekend is a new concept, replacing the previous Vancouver Island Chamber Music Festival and melding together a weekend of up close and personal recitals, a master class and our annual Solo Concert.
The festival starts off on Friday, April 3rd at 7:30pm at St. Paul’s Anglican Church with an evening recital featuring Soprano Nadya Blanchette and accompanied by Pianist Patrick Courtin. On Saturday, April 4th a matinee recital featuring Cellist Alexandra Lee and Violinist Dr. Calvin Dyck will take place at 10:30am at St. Paul’s. A meet and greet is planned following both performances.
There will also be a silent auction and bake sale, supporting the Nanaimo Conservatory of Music, taking place at St. Paul’s community hall on Saturday April 4th, from 12pm – 2pm.
Our annual, and ever popular Solo Piano Concert, will be featuring internationally acclaimed pianist, Steven Osborne this year, on Sunday April 5th, at 2:30 pm at the Port Theatre. Mr. Osborne will also be teaching a Master Class, on Saturday, April 4th, from 2 – 4 p.m. at the Nanaimo Conservatory of Music.
The weekend festivals proceeds will help us provide the support necessary to offer the best in musical education in the central Vancouver Island region, and each dollar raised will bring us one step closer to realizing this goal. Your patronage will help bring world-class performers to our theatre and will directly support arts education in your community.
*Please note that singular recital tickets and Masterclass tickets can only be purchased through the Nanaimo Conservatory of Music.
**Weekend passes are now available through the Port Theatre, and include both recitals and the Steven Osborne solo piano concert.
In case of school closures or lesson cancellations due to weather, any updates will be located on our facebook page. click here
The NCM Renovations Fundraising Campaign
Please see “SUPPORT US” to read about our Renovation Campaign. We are hoping to raise enough funds to cover some much needed renovations at our school.
The NCM Quarterly Newsletters
Click here to read the latest edition of the NCM newsletter!
For Young String, Woodwind, or Brass Instrumentalists,
Pianists and Singers
The Nanaimo Chamber Orchestra will choose one soloist or duo to perform a full concerto or concert piece as part of the NCO performances on Saturday May 30th and Sunday May 31st, 2019. The winner will also receive a prize of $400.00.
- Be 13- 21 years of age as of January 1st, 2020
- Specify a desired concerto or concert piece for solo/duo string, wind or brass instrument, solo piano or solo/duo voice ACCOMPANIED BY STRING ORCHESTRA ONLY. Any entries requiring additional instruments will not be considered.
- Reside in the central Vancouver Island area
- Provide own accompanist for audition
- Must demonstrate a performance level at or above Royal Conservatory grade 7
- 1st STAGE- Applicants’ music choice only- due by December 20th, 2019 or earlier via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2nd STAGE- Upon approval of 1st stage full application is due by February 7th, 2020
- Successful Applicants will be contacted after February 7th, 2020 to arrange audition times
- Auditions will occur on February 16th, 2020
- The selected soloist must be available for Wednesday evening rehearsals and for the performance dates of May 30th and May 31st, 2020.
Application forms and rules are available at:
Nanaimo Conservatory of Music
For more information, contact: